Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I'll Get Back To You Whenever I Feel Like It

I try not to let my A.D.D. win, but when I work, I get distracted easily by more important things like blogging, hence the multiple posts in a matter of hours.

Anyway, if your outgoing message on your voicemail says the following, please consider changing it:

"I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience."

Man, that is one of my pet peeves. You might as well say, "I'll get back to you whenever I feel like it" because that's what it implies. I understand if you want to sound like a jerk. In that case, you should just leave it as-is.

A good outgoing voicemail is tricky because you don't have a lot of options. If you try not to be cliche, you can sound pretentious ("You know what to do..."), but I also don't need the elaborate instruction on how to leave a message after the beep. It's the new millennium people - we're all pretty well-versed in the procedure of leaving a message.

If I could, I'd just let the beep roll without any explanation. I'd still have that annoying little automated operator lady issuing clear instructions on what buttons to press to leave a message or for additional options. But because I have one line for work and play, I must have a greeting that is business professional. So I keep it simple: "This is Love. Sorry I missed your call. Please leave a message."

But never, ever would I say, "I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience." You might as well ask people to never call you again.

~ the lady love

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beep, this is libby, leave a message but i rarely listen to them, and i'll get back to you when i'm not busy as shit.

the lady love said...

Yeah, i noticed. It's a good thing that I heart you.