Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Gone Too Long

Finally, my computer has been resurrected thanks to my friend Mike. Sure, it's been longer than your standard three days in the biblical sense (Wait, how long was Lazarus down for?), but Mike is his own sort of miracle worker. Man, I don't know what I'd do without him. He's my techie saviour, besides just being an all-around good guy and friend. Fortunately, his wife Heather is just as cool, loaning her husband out to me all the time.

Last night, during our third attempt to get this machine up and running again, Heather said, "Oh good. I was afraid it wasn't going to work." I looked at Heather and playfully said, "Come on. What you really mean is 'Is this chick ever going to leave so I can have my husband back?'"

You'd think after my virtual sabbatical I'd have a lot to say. Nope. I guess I've lost my voice, or perhaps just my opinions.

Oooh, saying that reminded me of a line from a poem that my extended college crush wrote (not about me). An excerpt:

...

the more you come around
the more I seem to wait
to try on thoughts
and lend out shirts
and watch you listen
while I lose opinions

...

I cannot believe I remembered that. That had to be 10 years ago. But re-reading those lines just now reminds me why I carried such a torch for him back then. I mean, that's just altogether hot. Even still to me now. The thing is, now I wouldn't be so patient or absurd to find his brooding, i.e. his inner conflict - sexy or compelling, no matter how sexy and compelling he was just for being him.

~ the lady love

9 comments:

Mark Burris - BURRIS said...

Welcome back. (Try a Mac. Go to www.apple.com to see five funny tweaks at Windows.)

I can't imagine you not having something to say, an opinion about anything and everything.

Neat little poem. Rings true to me too.

the lady love said...

Never owned anything but Macs. Turns out, they fuck up, too. My other one bit the dust a year and a half year ago, but Mike restored it entirely for me for my birthday last year. This one here is a little iBook I bought in August.

Mark Burris - BURRIS said...

Of course you have a Mac. You're creative. Don't know what I was thinking about. Hope mine never does what yours did.

j/r said...

this is a decent poem... and what I want to know is what gets to count as sexy or compelling...

j/r said...

and, what does owning a mac have to do with being creative? a serious question, though asked with my apologies to l.l. for littering her blog with extraneous matters...

the lady love said...

J/R - Macs are predominantly used by people in the arts or who work in design/marketing professionally, though their market share is widening.

As for what counts as sexy or compelling to me... that's a hard question, because there's no real blatant or superficial consistency in those people I have found sexy or compelling. I guess I tend to find confidence, individuality, intellect, and creativity very sexy and compelling. It's very sexy and compelling when someone is expressive.

It's more of a personal chemistry for me. When someone can look at me or say something to me that makes my belly jump. I tend to be drawn to people who exude intense sexual energy. I don't get wrapped up in the packaging (read: physical beauty), though I won't deny that I like pretty things. However, beauty is subjective, and there have been people who would have traditionally be considered "unattractive" by cultural standards that I look at and go, "Mmmmm." Maybe it was the way they carried themselves, the way they spoke, their unique personalities or incredible minds, the way they grabbed the back of my head mid-sentence and pulled me to them.

Does that make sense?

the lady love said...

And, for the record, this is only an excerpt from the poem, and I would never be so vain to even begin to assume that it was about me, because it was never addressed to me. Fuck, for that matter, it could have been about Grace or anyone else for that matter.

I say this just in case anyone interpreted my inclusion of it in my post to mean that it was directed to me.

j/r said...

l.l., thanks for your thoughtful and pointed response... and I understand even if I'm still a bit suspicious of professional creativity, nonetheless, I follow you... And, I wish knew more of the meter of sexual energy the confidence and individuality, for instance, are a bit easier for me to undertand, that is they make sense, I think... And, for the record, I didn't assocaite the poem with you or grace or any specific human being, in fact, that's likely a reason I commented on it's deceny... not that you couldn't affect such emotion, but that it's bigger and older than you, or me, for instance...

the lady love said...

A meter of sexual energy, hmmm. That's a hard one. I guess I mean sexual energy as in lust and an openness and comfortability to express that lust.