Sunday, September 25, 2005

Died Last Night

My good friend (and neighbor) killed himself last night. I was photographing a wedding reception. At one point, I picked up my phone and had a missed call from him and a text message. At 10:49 he wrote, "I need your help." That could mean anything at all, and though it didn't suggest urgency, I called him. He didn't answer. I left a message saying that I was at the wedding and didn't have my phone on me. I got his message and if he called back and I didn't answer, it was because I wasn't near my phone, but I'd be checking my messages.

30 minutes later, I had another missed call from him and another text message. At 11:19 he wrote, "Drunk. Depressed. Going to bed. Call if light is on."

I had plans to sleep over at a friend's that night, so I wasn't going back home. No big deal, he was going to bed and nothing seemed terribly wrong.

At 12:26 a.m., I got another text message from him. It read, "Come get me I'm dead." I called him twice immediately but he didn't answer.

At 12:30 a.m., I got another text message that read, "sorry". I called him again. He didn't answer. I texted him, "What's going on?" No reply.

At 1:00 a.m., I texted him again and said, "Haven't heard from you. Hope ur ok." No reply.

Some time after 12:30 a.m. he overdosed on morphine and was found dead in his bed this morning.

No comments: